Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thigh High Boots

Thigh high boots are making a come back! The last I've seen these boots were in the early 90s, in the movie Pretty Woman. Julia Roberts, playing the role of a hooker, sported these babies during the first quarter of the film. Her boots were vinyl, certainly cheap and tacky, but she was, after all, playing a hooker.

These days, thigh high boots are available in luxe and luscious materials such as suede, lambskin and even wool. But I have to emphasize that these boots are only for the bold. These are pretty tough to pull of without looking cheesy or tacky. A great example would be Serena van der Woodsen from last week's episode of Gossip Girl. She wore a pair of flat-soled suede thigh high boots with her school uniform. The boots certainly add a certain flavor to her uniform and instantly boosts her sex appeal. She definitely rocked these boots, but then again, she's 5'10.

I've actually been secretly pining for these boots but I know it's an impractical buy because 1.) it's a trend that I'm sure will pass soon, and 2.) I'm too short to pull them off (or at least that's how I feel). So, for an alternative, I'm gonna go with thigh high socks. These socks are definitely just as hard to pull off. Not for the faint, but definitely for the adventurous. The only problem I have with thigh high socks is that they slide down, a lot! It's a little embarrassing and inconvenient to keep pulling these babies up. I guess Hollywood tape would answer that dilemma, though I have yet to try it.

Here's Carrie Bradshaw looking cute in her thigh highs and patent oxford booties. Now, that look I think I can pull off. First off, she's not that tall. I might be a little taller than her (not by a lot). I think the key to her look is the monochromatic tone of the whole outfit. That way, the socks don't scream for attention.

2 comments:

Purse Addict said...

Be careful of thigh high socks. They need to be SUPER DUPER tight on you or else they will start slipping to your knees the minute you start walking. I speak from personal experience...it gets pretty embarrassing having to pull your socks up all day long...

karempot said...

the last time i remember wearing thigh high socks w/ either a short skirt or a short dress was back in jr high!!! that was like more than 10 yrs ago! damn i feel old!