Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Sample Sales

Since it's my birthday month, I am going to attempt (key word, *wink*) to write at least an entry a day. Today's entry will be about samples sales and I love sample sales!

One of the best things about living in Los Angeles is the accessibility to fashion. We have the Fashion district in Downtown where a lot of designers have their showrooms. We also have the City of Vernon, where some local designers have warehouses and factories (i.e. American Apparel, LaRok, etc.).

In today's economic climate of high inflation rates and job insecurities, a fashion-lover/shopaholic like me turns to sample sales. We all know that keeping up with fashion can drain one's bank account. One might ask, "why not just go to discount stores like Marshall's or Ross?" Well, that's because the merchandise from Marshall's or Ross are usually the overstock of big department stores like Macy's or Nordstrom. Sample sales usually offer indie designer labels that are only offered in boutiques like Mike & Chris or LaRok. Sample sale stock is usually only a season behind so if you go to a trunk show in the fall, you might find summer or spring wares.

Last weekend, my friend JJ and I braved a T-Bags Billion Dollar Babe sale at the W Hotel in Westwood. They offered a lot of their summer collection at this sale. The great thing about T-bags is that most of their clothes can be worn year-round. The only difference in seasons is the patterns that are offered. So, they might have a top in their summer collection that will be offered again in the Fall but in a different pattern.

The T-bags sale started at 8 am for Platinum members, 9 am for us Gold members and 10 am for the rest of the public. Arriving early is key in sample sales. Early arrival ensures that you get first pick of the lot. At the Barney's warehouse sale, JJ arrived before they even opened but was in the middle of the line. By the time she got in, all the 'good' bags were gone! If circumstances don't permit you to arrive early, at least make sure you have your running shoes on. I went to a bag sale with my mom about a year ago and as soon as the doors opened, these girls just rushed in. It was my first sale and my mom and I were astounded to why these girls were running. As soon as I got to the sale site, I realized why they were running...to get to the 'good' bags before anyone else. These girls had an armful of bags and they go to one corner to pick through their loot. If you even dared to look at them while they were going through their stuff, I swear they'd claw out your eyes!

Another advantage these girls had was that they travel to sales in packs. I guess this is to ensure that their loot is protected. Man, fashion makes girls vicious! Hahaha. I haven't resorted to such tactics because I don't want to ruin the experience for those of us who want to shop in peace.

So, to sum up, sample sales are great because you save money of designer duds but make sure you arrive early and bring some of your girlfriends or significant other (even if they're just there to help you carry your stuff)!

1 comment:

Purse Addict said...

Sample sales are EVIL...BDB is ruining my life!!! Sample sales = waiting in long lines + pushing other girls out of your way in order to get to the racks + hoarding everything you see + naked girls running around trying on clothes + bitchy girls not sharing their loot x 10000 = still something I can't refuse...