Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Puerto Nuevo

I really shouldn't be blogging since I have a ton of stuff to do but I needed to write about my weekend before I get busier.

When I celebrated my birthday, KRMN and RCN mentioned Puerto Nuevo. The last time I was there was New Year's so I told them to let me know when they're going again so I can clear my schedule. Lo and behold, KRMN emailed me a couple days later and told me that they were driving down the following Saturday. Another trip to Puerto Nuevo, another cholesterol-laden meal of lobsters, rice and beans.

For all those who are unfamiliar with Puerto Nuevo, it's a small town about 30 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border. It's the self-proclaimed lobster capital of Baja California. This tiny town has a couple dozen restaurants that serves mostly seafood with lobster as the main attraction. Last December we ate at Puerto Nuevo I where the line was about a block long. This time, we ate at Puerto Nuevo II which is owned by the same family but there are virtually no patrons (which I don't really understand).

When we got there, there were no other customers and the staff seemed to be having lunch. We picked a table by the window and proceeded to anticipate the coming meal. Puerto Nuevo II offers a lobster lunch combo that comes with a whole lobster, rice, beans, and a margarita. RCN asked the waiter for the lobster sizes and prices and the waiter only came back with one size for $17.50. The lobster wasn't the biggest so we ordered 6 lobsters for the 5 of us, plus 2 orders to go for KRMN's parents. This is what we got:



We counted and recounted the lobsters because it looked like they gave us too much. There were 18 halves total so we thought they made a mistake and gave us the to go orders plus an extra order all together. We pondered about it momentarily but we ended up eating away since the food looked great and we were starving. When we were done with our meal, the waiter brought our our to go orders. We got even more confused. RCN left a big tip since he thought we got away with extra lobsters. On our way out, I heard the waiter explaining to a few customers that it's $17.50 for 3 halves! Lol. We didn't get extra lobsters after all! It was all good though because $17.50 is still waaayyy cheap for good lobsters.





Happy lobster eaters!












After lunch we drove back to Rosarito for some shopping. We left with a few goodies (check next post) and some Mexican candies (not the ones with lead). RCN wanted to purchase a dog but the little guy looked sick so he decided against it. On the drive back home we had to circle around town for a little bit because of some road closures to get back to the border. The drive back to the border wasn't as bad as some speculated it was going to be...it only took about an hour and the street vendors were very entertaining (I wish I had pictures).

1 comment:

karempot said...

can u photoshop my face so i dont look so fat hehe i thought you'd be writing abt the extraordinary desserts we had mmmm i miss the bread pud'n