Monday, January 21, 2008

Sushi Zo

JJ had a sushi craving last Friday and told me she wanted to try a new place, Sushi Zo. I immediately googled it to read the reviews only to find out that this place is only a few blocks away from my place. I read a few more of the reviews and they were pretty solid. The only thing that was throwing me off was the $$$$ attached to this place. Some of the reviewers said that it cost about $50/person while others said it cost about $125/person. The disparity in the cost per person must have been from how much was consumed. Despite my initial reluctance, I decided to go with her. I love sushi and there's nothing better than the thrill of 'discovering' a new restaurant especially if it'll be as good as the reviews.

JJ made reservations for 7:30 and despite the proximity to my house, I was late (what else is new, right?). We were seated at the sushi bar. I immediately noticed how tiny this place was. My boss's office is probably bigger than this entire restaurant! I think the whole restaurant only sits 30 people. You're out of luck without a reservation as they actually turn people away when they are full. I also read reviews that the chef is a bit of a Sushi Nazi so JJ and I were on our guard.


Anyway, as soon as I was seated, a server approached me and asked if there was anything that I didn't eat (uni and anything chewy i.e. squid, octopus, etc). I took this to mean that JJ had already ordered the Omakase or Chef's Choice which means that the chef picks and chooses what to serve you. We started with an oyster appetizer. I've been wary of oysters since a bad one at Michael's (that made me vomit half way through the meal) but this was a tiny oyster and looked so yummy that I couldn't resist. I was right (oh how I love it when I'm right)! It was yummy! I could tell that the rest of the meal was going to be phenomenal judging by that one oyster bite.

We were served a bite of heaven, one after the other, with instructions, "No soy sauce" or "Use soy sauce". Some of the pieces already had a sauce that it didn't need extra soy sauce. The chef really wants his patrons to enjoy and savor the flavor of each fish that he serves. My favorites of the night were probably the toro, butterfish and albacore. The toro and butterfish literally melts in your month. Each bite was almost a mini-orgasm! JJ and I were exceptionally full and satisfied but we didn't know how to end the meal. It turns out that an order of hand rolls ends it for you (at least now we know for next time). We opted for the toro hand rolls. I was so full that I couldn't even finish my hand roll. I didn't want to be rude and not take it so I forced myself to eat it. I think I left a bite on my plate.

It was now a little after 10. If you remember, our reservations were at 7:30. We had been at Sushi Zo for a little over 2.5 hours! And now for the dreaded bill...I knew it was going to be high. And it was. We paid $250 (no drinks but with tip included) and I think it was worth every penny. If I could only afford to go every week, I would.

2 comments:

Purse Addict said...

I totally knew you were going to blog about this delicious meal!! Yayayayayayay...I wanna go back but only ask for toro, butterfish, and uni :) Despite being uncomfortably full from sushi, I still have a craving for sushi! I think next time we should go to Sasabune which is slightly cheaper and serves you less food. Looking at the picture of the toro sushi makes my mouth water :(

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it. I was thinking about it the whole weekend. Too bad it's a little much for a once-a-week thing...