Sunday, September 23, 2007

Project: Corporate Look

I recently interviewed for a company and I was told that the company has a very strict dress code: corporate. I wasn't fazed, slightly intimidated, but nonetheless, I took that as a challenge. I have never worked in an environment that had a strictly corporate dress code. Those who know me can (and will) attest that I am probably the most casual and laid-back person they know (clothes-wise anyway). I'm perfectly content to live in my jeans and flip-flops. Ever the California girl, I am.

Still, all week long, I pondered what it would be like to be in that environment. A little stale fashion-wise perhaps, but I was intrigued. I do own a couple of suits but they're boring. The "corporate look" has always been boring to me. Suits in drab colors, hair in a bun...not fun. I think this is part of the reason why I have never ventured into an industry that required "corporate dress".

Nonetheless, here is my attempt at "corporate fashion". I created three looks around a black blazer. I think I can liven these outfits with more colorful tops but neutral is a safe bet (until you've worked at the place long enough to figure out loopholes in their dress code, lol). I think if you pick outfits in neutral colors, you might be able to punch it up with a bold bag or bold shoes (closed-toe of course). Jewelry must be kept minimal and a Blackberry is a must.

No comments: