Refinery29. And speaking of Refinery29, check it out when you have a chance coz it's like a one-stop shop for all the hip things out there that the normal person doesn't really read about in their daily newspaper.
Shipley & Halmos' List:
1. Lupe's East LA Kitchen: "We hit this spot at least once a week for lunch. Love the vibe, people are nice, and the food is pretty authentic for a NY Mexican restaurant. The huevos rancheros is solid. We also recommend trying one of their aguas frescas."
Lupe's East LA Kitchen, 110 Avenue of the Americas (between Broome and Watts streets); 212-966-1326.
2. Church Street Surplus: "Every time we go here, we find great stuff. The owner and his family have been there for years. If you walk in, you'll definitely believe it."
Church Street Surplus, 327 Church Street (between Canal and Lispenard streets); 212-226-5280.
3. The City Bakery: "Absolutely obsessed with the pretzel croissants!"
The City Bakery, 3 West 18th Street (near 5th Avenue); 212-366-1414.
4. Printed Matter: "We are really into clever, independently-published books. They have plenty to browse. Make a day of it and visit some galleries in the area."
Printed Matter, 195 10th Avenue (at West 22nd Street); 212-925-0325.
5. Ludlow Guitars: "They have a ton of amazing vintage guitars, amps, pedals, etc. Stairway to Heaven at your own risk."
Ludlow Guitars, 164 Ludlow Street (near Stanton Street); 212-353-1775.
Alice Temperley's List:
1. Blue Ribbon Bakery: "It's perfect for a weekend brunch and delicious Bloody Marys."
35 Downing Street (between Bedford and Bleecker streets); 212-337-0404.
2. Diner: "This restaurant has amazing local, organic seasonal cuisine and is located in a refurbished dining car to boot!"
85 Broadway (at Berry Street); 718-486-3077
3. Raoul's: "A visit to Raoul's for their pepper steak has become a NYC ritual for my husband Lars and me."
180 Prince Street (between Thompson and Sullivan streets); 212-966-3518.
4. What Comes Around Goes Around: "I'm always on the hunt for vintage and love checking out what they have."
351 West Broadway (between Broome and Grand streets); 212-564-6650.
5. Old Goode Things: "This is a great antique store with architectural salvage and amazing vintage furniture. We sourced some incredible pieces for our Soho boutique here."
124 West 24th Street (between 6th and 7th avenues); 212-989-8401.
6. The Cloisters: "This is a fun museum to bike up to and enjoy the silence."
99 Margaret Corbin Drive (at Fort Tryon Place); 212-923-3700.
Image from sespinophotos.com